Thursday, December 20, 2012

The best little gift, you'd have never thought

Once for my sister-in-law's bday I got her a bunch of small, fun giftie things. I picked most of these things up at Winners because they're a really great store for stuff like that (and similarly HomeSense, of course) - just from the check-out line really (in the 'impulse buy' section), on my way out of the store.

One of the things I happened to pick up for her was something called a Bottle-abra. Basically it's a little cork-type contraption that you put into a wine bottle so that you're able to elegantly appoint a candle high enough to light up the whole spread of a dining table, instead of trying to kick it's '70s style and cram the candle into the bottle opening yourself only to have wax drip and form like barnacles on the sides of the repurposed wine bottle (which, for the record, I actually quite like the look of). I didn't think much of this item; thought it was cool, but when I was trying to decide between picking up one or two for her gift I just went with one because I didn't want her to be inundated with two stupid giftie things should they prove to be a lame purchase on my part.

Since that time - about two years ago - I can't tell you how many times she and her husband have commented to me that the Bottle-abra (you know, instead of candelabra) is the greatest thing they've ever had the pleasure of using in their home. Man, why didn't I get two? And since then do you think I've been able to find these things any where else!?, in any stores or online or anything? No! The only ones I have come across online are super ugly and aren't at all what the original Bottle-abra was, that I found at Winners at Dufferin Mall in Toronto, Ontario.

Bottle-abra, why do you elude us? We just want to find more of you, and take you home and light you up. Come on, baby, light my fire!

No comments: